Saturday, May 9, 2009

Help! I have a leopard print issue.

Call me old fashioned, call me muddle headed but I need your help.

What’s with the leopard print pump? Like the 'classic trench’ (see previous post) the leopard print pump appears on so many must have lists that we are all in danger of looking like a guerrilla (gorilla?) army if we all ran out and bought a pair and wore them at once. Isaac Mizrahi in ‘How to Have Style’ says the leopard print pump is as essential as the black pump and the Mary Jane.

Now I don’t wish to offend, but to me they kinda look cheap. Not exactly street-walking cheap, but sheesh, not a good look. I just don’t wanna look like Pamela Anderson (god love her and I do too) when I step out the door in the morning to go to work.

And what do you wear your leopard print pumps with? If you wear all black, surely a black shoe would be better? A all white pant suit? Head to toe animal prints? I am soooo confused. And in the winter months, what tights? Surely not black?

But I am lost. Help me here. I'm all ears!!!!! Are they really attractive? Or do you really look like a hooker when you wear them?

6 comments:

Genya said...

No no no ....don't be scared. Put them on and strut about like the princess that you are. Don't worry, they don't look cheap. And you CAN wear them with all black. ENJOY!

Anonymous said...

funny you should say that i have problems with animal prints too. looking forward to advice!

KK said...

Leopard print is a classic - and I find that it is an easy and safe way for women who aren't very adventurous with their wardrobe selections to feel like they are really taking a fashion risk. If my outfit is a little boring with too many basics, I add a leopard shoe or bag to make it more interesting. It's all a matter of preference. If you don't like leopard pumps (and there definitely are women who don't), find a different pattern that serves the same purpose.

Kipstar said...

Thanks KK.... I admire your panache! Hope that kelped Ms Anonymous - and Genya, how wonderful you think I might be a princess (but aren't we all???)

Linda said...

Leopard is old school, the zebra print is the new " in ". After all darlings, it's Spring. Your " wild side " wants the basic black & white, or the yellow outfit accented with the zebra print on a shoe or a scarf ..or even a sash , a belt...yes, wild , very wild

Kipstar said...

Now that zebra stripe might be the ideal thing for me ..... thanks so much for the tip!