Sunday, May 3, 2009

Shoes????? It's all in the length!

Yesterday, an American breakfast show did a road test. Christian Louboutin black leather 4" heel pumps ($600) vs. Payless black leather 4" heel pumps ($20). There were three tests applied -

1. Did people see the difference when looking at both pairs? (answer - nope).
2. Were they comfortable on a one mile walk round Central Park? (nope - both new pairs hurt)
3. What were there insides made of. (Payless - cardboard and plastic. Laboutin's leather, leather, leather).

All shoes look pretty neat when they are new. But the issue is that after one month, one year, ten years they are gonna look at lot different. If indeed the Payless shoes survive that long. It's true, the Payless are going to look cheap and nasty, and are going to be falling apart. The CL's on the other hand will look good, and have a dignified worn in look. In short, they will still look cool.

I love shoes. I like a mid price range shoe and they are mostly comfortable. I do like to splurge and have some lovely, eye wateringly expensive shoes. And I do honestly believe that a pricier shoe just does look better.

BUT - here's the thing. The three most expensive pairs of shoes I ever bought - a simple but elegant Bally sandal, a classic black Gucci pump and a Prada black sandal - were also the three most uncomfortable pairs I have ever owned. They hurt like hell and make me miserable. They have never stopped hurting and I have never stopped perservering.

How in the hell do you explain that?

No comments: