Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Le francais je ne sais quoi





I once worked with a French woman who was, it has to be said, very plain. I know, because I used to sit opposite her and just stare. She was plain. Not ugly, just plain. But I had a big girly-crush on her, because she was oh so chic. I tortured myself trying to figure this out. How did she have that style? Why did ooze from every pore?

Was it her understated style, an offhanded French arrogance about her dress? Was she undone or under done.?What what WHAT was going on with Mme Plain Francais that had me tossing and turning during sleepless nights?

Well, the phrase je ne sais quoi was invited by the French for a reason. Stylists and commentators can bang on and on about the French loving elegant, expensive pieces, understated and beautifully styled, creating the perfect silhouette but it seems so much more than that. I mean, it obviously helps that the accent is a killer.

I still haven’t cracked the code. Is it about proportion, tailoring, attention to detail? Sophistication and appropriateness? Lack of bling? (oh yes, we might be onto something there!!)
Do you think the French are stylish? No? Yes? Couldn’t care less?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you might have it Ms Kip in the idea that the French almost never do bling. There's no costume jewelry, oversize bags, hideous D&G crass about them - simple - elegant - stylish. Ah!

RC Linda said...

It is the arrogance , the pose, the " how dare you " stance that the French have. They are very Aristocratic and are able to get away with it because we expect that of the French. How can one be otherwise when the laungage is as though music is flowing from the mouth. French fashion people have an air of directing the world as to what should be worn in the name of fashion art. " Wear this to please me darling , I insist ! "...and ofcourse, we feel as though whatever they insist should be worn. And then there's the movies of old Hollywood that linger in our brains to remind us of the romance of Paris. When I see a fashion designer who drinks the wine instead of eating any food, and wears a simple cloth instead of the glamour they design, it reminds me that they are the French and perhaps that is their intent. Now, will someone please give that designer a protein shake before she drops over from the weight of her hair !

Kipstar said...

RC Linda - you make me laugh out loud.

I think both Linda and Ms Anon are on the right track here. If they could bottle it and export it, the French would be the wealthiest people in the world, no?

But of course they would NEVER share.