Monday, June 1, 2009

How to wear red lipstick?


Yet again, concern about lead content in lipstick has hit the headlines, with the FDA outing several brands as being potentially toxic*.

I would love to be able to carry off red lippie but have never - NEVER been able to. All that advise about plum shades for pink skin and red shades for amber skin makes no sense with my coloring - NOTHING works.

Someone once said that the only time to really get away with wearing red lipstick is after the age of 70 - because you can get away with anything when you are old. I fear this means that people will think that you are a nutty old bag and titter behind their hands.

Anyone have great suggestions for a fool proof totally red lipstick?


*Worst offenders: - L’Oreal Colour Riche “True Red” lipstick (with a lead content of 0.65 parts per million) and Cover Girl’s Incredifull Lipcolor “Maximum Red” (0.56 p.p.m.). Price had nothing to do with lead levels: less expensive brands, like a $1.99 tube of Wet and Wild Mega Colors “Cherry Blossom,” contained no lead, whereas a $24 tube of Dior Addict “Positive Red” contained 0.21 p.p.m.

4 comments:

Minnie ha ha said...

I can't wear it either! It's one of my great fashion regrets - so you are not alone!

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

I love red lipstick. It's the one makeup item I am never without. I'm particularly fond of the NARS reds. But I couldn't say if any are foolproof.

I really want to try a Lipstick Queen lipstick!

Kipstar said...

Thanks karen - any names you can let me have to experiment with?

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Here I am a crazy week later... These are my NARS faves: Red Lizard (bright, glam, 1940s movie star red), Shanghai Express (deep,true red), and Tamango (a sheerish sangria stain). I'm a very pale, cool-toned person, if that helps. Most reds seem to work well on me, both warm and cooler tones.