Sunday, June 28, 2009

Coco avant Chanel


I saw Coco Avant Chanel over the weekend and was terribly terribly disappointed. the direction was so conventional and so leaden, and the story uninspiringly told.

There were many wonderful things about Coco: she was in many ways a plain woman who created a true style for herself and turned herself into a great icon, she had an eye for the unusual. Her distrust and dislike for the idle moneyed classes made her long for a more structured and less frou-frou style. She created iconic costumes and pieces. She constantly reinvented herself. She was enigmatic and told fabulously large lies. She was a one of a kind.

Oh dear, the film is so pedestrian I could have wept tears of frustration!

If you want to find out about Coco I suggest that you grab a beautifully large coffee table book and luxuriate in the images of all the style she created.

Have you seen it? What did you think?

1 comment:

Coco said...

I was hoping to see a lot more fashion and was sad that I didn't but I thought it was a pleasant movie. Nothing fabulous but I enjoyed it.