Thursday, June 4, 2009

Anna tells Oprah - you're too fat!


Anna Wintour once told Oprah Winfrey that she was too fat to appear on the cover of Vogue and that she "had to drop a few pounds" before the photo shoot.

In un-aired segments of Wintour's recent interview on 60 Minutes, Ms Wintour admits to telling Oprah that she was too fat for Vogue.
She said :

“It was a very gentle suggestion. I went to Chicago to visit Oprah, and I suggested that it might be an idea that she lose a little bit of weight. I said simply that you might feel more comfortable. She was a trooper! She totally welcomed the idea, and she went on a very stringent diet. And it was one of our most successful covers ever.”

I doubt that it was a successful cover because Oprah was skinny. It was successful because it was Oprah. I am so glad that Oprah was happy and receptive to Wintour's suggestion. But you know, Oprah is Oprah and that's the reason we love her. I don't need her to be 100 pounds or 250 pounds, I just need her to be Oprah.

And you know I look at the cover and she looks kind of ....starved, and unhappy.
What do you think?

3 comments:

Minje said...

she looks spooky and unhappy. and fragile.

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

It's weird, because she doesn't look like Oprah. I don't mean her body/size. She just all-round doesn't look like herself.

This is nice timing because I'm just now watching the episode of The Fashion Show wherein all the designers are in a tizzy because--OMG!--they have to design for (what look to me like) very normal women. Not obese. Not overweight. Just regular women. But because they aren't *models* (i.e. clothes hangers), some of these designers are flipping out.

This just seems so sad to me. Not for the women, per se (criminy, we don't *need* high fashion designers to look great), but for the designers. Seriously--their only design template from now until forever is a woman of *one* single height/weight/build? Sheesh. How limiting and unimaginative.

(Sorry, Kipstar! /steps off soapbox...)

Kipstar said...

Karen - you can get onto your soap box any time you like - that's why my blog is here - it's one big soap box.

I love looking at all those willowy worgeous models too - they are divine creatures who look like heaven but I am also realistic and realise that they make up about 0.000000000001% of women in the world.

I don't like seeing Oprah looking so STARVED. It is spooky Minje, very well said!