Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The classic white shirt


My dear friends, you may recall me banging on in the past about "wardrobe classics" and how I am not a fan of all those things one is supposedly obliged to have (eg: classic beige trench and the leopard print shoe).

However, the same cannot be said for my love affair with the classic white button down. It is a wardrobe staple and throughout every look I have ever had, it always has been.

I am very much on the side of "the plainer the better". I don't like fancy add ons, frou-frou, dress ups and novelties added to my white shirt. I like it plain and timeless.

That being said, I will spend money on it. Not big bucks, but not bargain basement either. You need a generous and sensible fit, a good length (too cheap and they skimp on length, I find from bitter experience), and good quality cotton.

And I can wear it with pearls (inside the shirt or out), colored beads, jacket, cardigan, coat, waist coat, scarf. But most of all I like it plain, plain, plain.

What do you look for in your white shirt?

3 comments:

Pearlie said...

I LOVE the look of rows and rows and rows of pearls on a crisp white shirt. Heaven!

Halley said...

Yes, you have to spend money - a good white shirt looks like a dream, you can wear it with lots of not so expensive things and still look a million bucks. I love them too.

RC Linda said...

My classic white shirt is actually a tailored white shirt with a little stretch to fit well. And I wear it with layers of turquoise jewelry. Several necklaces of liquid silver & turquoise beads draping from under the collar, a choker of coral and turquoise at the neck...the earrings of both silver, coral and turquoise. No bracelets, love that button cuff...instead of bracelets, the southwest old turquoise rings. My basic white shirt is my canvas darlings. The canvas for the jewelry.