Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Why was Kate Moss censored?


A rather elegant Kate Moss photograph on the cover of a magazine called Monster Children is causing problems. Not just problems, but CENSORSHIP.

News stands and news agents are refusing to stock the magazine because of Kate's (gasp!) nipple! (I think smoking is more damaging than seeing a nipple, but then I don't think the cover is offensive at all).
Eventually, the distributor of the magazine joined the fray and refused to distribute the magazine.

This is not Hustler magazine, this is not offensive.
Why are people so upset about this lovely photo of Kate Moss?

5 comments:

RC Linda said...

If I wwere to ever be on the cover of a magazine, honestly, I would not choose to show my nipple. Lying on a bed of rumpled sheets, nipple showing, and cigarette in hand on the cover of a magazine? So, did she just have sex with the photog and he was so thrilled he shot this photo ? Trashy shot , if she wanted to look sexy, cover up that nipple, toss the cigarette , stare into that camera baby and talk with your eyes..that face can sell you fine, not the little thing peeking out under the slip's strap.

2Sugars said...

There is a big problem these days when people dont get the difference between nude in art or a "cheap shot" It seems everyone reacts at nudity before considering if it is art or a sexist form of photography. Nudity has been in art for thousands of years. For a cover, I can understand why it would not be acceptable. I do slightly agrre with the previous comment. Baring yourself on camera isnt too classy at all.

Deelister said...

I think the debate here is not about whether Kate should have done the sot - as in, whether or not it's good taste, but whether or not - good taste, bad taste etc, the cover should be censored.

Kipstar said...

I think Kate has made many questionable decisions over the years - many of them truly fabulous, some have left me cold. But I think Deelister has got the point here - whatever we think is "beautiful" is not the issue - otherwise we would never see half the people we personally dislike. Good old Kate Moss, like Madonna and Britney she can be relied on to do whatever she pleases .... and I think that we should not be censoring a nipple.

Hey Linda and 2 Sugars! Thanks for reading and commenting!

Kipstar said...

By the way way 2 Sugars - love your blog!